Families interested in exploring school options for the 2016-2017 school year must complete the Newark Enrolls application online or in person at any district or participating charter school or at the Newark Public School’s (NPS) Family Support Center located at 301 W. Kinney Street prior to the Monday, February 29 deadline. The online application will close at11:59pm on the 29th, and the Family Support Center will have extended hours on Monday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. to assist those who need last minute support.
If families are interested in applying to these community schools, there are several options available:
- If families have not yet submitted an application online, they can simply rank a community school as their first preference when they do.
- If families have already submitted and want to change their enrollment selection based on this new information, they are able to do so by accessing their account online up until the deadline.
- If a family in the South Ward community decides after the deadline that they would like to attend a community school, they can visit the family support center located at 301 W. Kinney Street to get more information about next steps.
As a reminder, parents should complete a Newark Enrolls application if:
- Their child is in the last grade in their current school, including those:
- In grade 8 of all K through 8 schools
- In grade 6 of Harriet Tubman School
- In grade 4 of Benjamin Franklin, Branch Book, Fourteenth Avenue, Newark Educators’ Community Charter, Roberto Clemente, Roseville Community
- In Pre-K4 of the Early Childhood Schools (Berliner, Gladys Hillman Jones, South, West) and all community-based Pre-K4 providers
- Their child will be enrolling in public school for the first time in fall 2016, including:
- New Pre-K students
- New Kindergarten students
- Their child wants to attend a new school for fall 2016 that better fits their needs
If children would like to remain in their current school next fall, parents do not need to submit an application.
Families who submit applications by February 29 for a new school will receive their match letters in mid-April. The match letter will inform families of their school placement for the fall and provide families with next steps to register and confirm their placement with their school.
For more information, please visit www.newarkenrolls.org.